Thursday, July 8, 2010

The last years of my teenage lay in my drawer.

I found a few things of interest in my drawer,when I opened it to look for a misplaced visiting card.

A mauve coloured envelope.My sister had written to me from USA after I had passed my first ever,public examination.She had sent me a very private,emotional letter and a cheque to buy a watch.As I hold the envelope I remember how I had treasured every word,and how violated I had felt when a nosey girl from my class,who had come to pick up some class-notes from me,sneaked into my room,opened this drawer labelled 'PRIVATE DO NOT TOUCH',and read this letter.I still have not forgiven her.

A table calendar.Custom made,with full blown photographs of me on every page.A surprise from my contentious boy.

An old bill,from a restaurant where we ate nine years ago.At a time when we slept in college dorm and could spare only 800 bucks for a whole month.This bill alone, read Rs.520,you can imagine what a rare luxury it was for us.He had taken me there,just as a surprise,without any occasion.That evening,as I sat there,I had felt no less than a princess.That is why,I had asked for the bill and after much persuasion,did he give it to me,to keep.

Another bill,this time the amount ran into thousands,was from an apparel store.I had bought him a dark coloured 'Sherwani',and he, a purple coloured 'Dhakai' saree.To do this,we both had to plan much in advance and save out of our meagre allowances.I still love to wear that first purple saree,although it is more than seven years old now.

A letter from mom.Written to me when she was abroad and I was going away from home,for the first time,to college.This was the only letter she ever wrote to me.We either talk over phone or in person.Nowadays she emails me too.

All of this happened almost a decade ago,and yet,it seems only yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. Is your sister the follower called 'NONE'? And who is the nozzy girl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Mr.Sherlock Holmes.and there was a nosey girl in my class,you wouldn't know her.

    ReplyDelete